Thursday, September 11, 2008

Obsessed.

This blog entry will not be long. It does not have pictures. It is just a plain and simple check-in to say...I AM OBSESSED WITH PERU!

I arrived here on Sunday and since, have been falling in love with the city, the people, my host family, the school, the food...pretty much everything ever since I arrived.

I am living in Arequipa for my last leg of the journey. Arequipa is a big city of about 1 million people and I think I forgot how much I love living in a big city. The energy is amazing, the pace is awesome...and there is one cab for every 4 people here...SWEET!

The other volunteers are fabulous. Every one of them...just great. I have managed to find friends again and even make a fun weekend trip plan to visit the beaches of Chile (stay tuned...next entry...)

Ok...there are no words to describe my host family. Don't get me wrong, all of my host families have been amazing and all very different. It's been great to experience living with families so different than my own.

But here in Peru, it's like I could be living in my own house! I live in this modern neighborhood with THE most amazing people. My "mom" and "sister" are always pumping the tunes through the house, watching trashy VH1 reality TV, surfing the internet (yes...I have a computer in the house) and having fun dinners with their girlfriends. And the food is...ridiculously amazing.

Seriously...for any of you out there worried about my taste buds, they are seriously in taste bud rehabilitation right now. Meals are amazing and I even get dessert...this is a first in 5 months of travel.

In fact, the other night, dessert wasn't quite ready when I was done with dinner so what did she do? She served me warm sweet rice in milk with cinnamon IN BED. Are you kidding me??

Weather...about 75-80 degrees, clear blue skies and sunny every single day. Need I say more?

Oh..and the school...somehow I always forget why I came here once I start talking food. But the school is so wonderful. I am back to teaching the little ones (1st and 2nd graders). They are definitely much more "spunky" than any other country I've been in so far (for you non-teachers out there...spunky is code for little hellions) but they are so much fun.

So that about sums up Peru. In a word...I'm obsessed.

xoxo,
Debra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola Debra!!
Fue muy bueno verte en Perú, que bueno que lo estás disfrutando. Ayer fuimos a correr "La Antorcha" por las celebraciones del 15 de Sept. "Día de la Independencia en Guatemala", fue muy divertido, pero un poco cansado.

Ahora tenemos un día libre, yupiii!
Me encanta tu blog, cuidate mucho chica y un gran abrazo para TI.

Doreen xx