Friday, September 26, 2008

Futbol...with a U

I'm trying to redeem myself with two blog entries this week but don't get too excited...this one will be short! But I am leaving again for another "adventure" this weekend to Lake Titicaca and my only hope of catching up is to cut the chatter and just post some pictures...

So one thing that I have most definitely learned on this trip is that truthfully, the United States is probably THE only country that is not completely, utterly and entirely consumed by Futbol...or as us weirdos like to call it...soccer.

Even since I have arrived in Central and South America, I just have not ben able to avoid the sport. The kids play it all the time. I have walked through countless games in the middle of the streets. Even while I was in the Galapagos all the guides met on the beach to play one lazy afternoon.

So I won't say that 'm a "fan" quite yet but I have definitely found myself getting much more into futbol than I thought I would. When in Rome, right??

I have even been convinced to take to the pitch quite a number of times...here are the least unattractive photos I have of myself trying not to get hit in the nose by the ball...
My friends and I even went to a "real" futbol match a couple weeks ago and it really was fun. Completely with an upset win at the end and fans throwing garbage and yelling crude comments at the opposing team (it's amazing how "yo momma" jokes have crossed the borders...)And lastly (and most cutely), last week were the Olymics for our littlest students...only 4-6 years-old. One of the other volunteers, Daga, managed to snap some amazing photos...

Ok...well that's all for now. I'm off to Lake Titicaca (yep...Lake Titicaca...still funny) for the weekend and will give a full report when I get back...or at least within like 9 days of returning... :)

xoxo,
Debra

P.S...Happy 60th mom!! Hope you have a great party and no...I'm seriously not in town.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

William and I actually go to a lot of futbol games and wonder why it's not more popular in the US because it's an awesome game! I love that your kids had Olympics. So cute!
Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linda! Debra, cant wait to hear about Titicaca....
love cooper

Stephanie said...

My parents were at the big birthday bash this weekend and said it was a hit! Apparently, they played a video of you there. The entire Culp clan giggled at the "Dollar Store Gift Certificates" your dad handed out all evening. And we have some wonderful pictures of my dad sporting the pearls, sunglasses, etc. they received in the party bags. Happy Birthday, Mrs. Fiterman!

Looking forward to seeing you upon your return. Safe travels!

XO,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Haha yey!!glad to see your finally getting into the swing of the football!!you'll have to take on Santiago next time!!XX

Anonymous said...

oops sorry that was meant to be Alison but you know what my typing is like!!