Friday, July 18, 2008

Three months.

Yep...I have already been gone 3 whole months. I´m sure some of you out there reading this cannot believe how fast the time has gone. While others of you feel like I have been gone about 17 years. And to be completely honest, I do not know which group I fall into!

Anyway, so despite the fact that I have been here for 3 months and have definitely grown accustom to some of the weirdest things imaginable (i.e, not being able to flush toilet paper down the toilet, all of the symbols on the keyboard being in different places, the list goes on...), there have been some very simple pleasures I have missed dearly...and today I got to enjoy some of those favorite things!

Let´s not forget people...this is a girl who´s favorite restaurant is Manny´s, who loves spa treatments and who spends more money on hair treatments than on groceries. I may be far away but I have not forgotten that girl...

So today I took the 5am shuttle from Honduras back to Antigua. It was strange but it almost felt like returning home! The town felt huge...not exactly sure what Mpls will feel like once I get there.

Anyway, I took full advantage of my afternoon and indulged two of my weaknesses...a manicure-pedicure and SUSHI!

Yes...it has actualy been 3 plus months since I have had ANY Asian cuisine and for a Jewish girl...let´s just say I was getting the shakes. I think the waiter thought I was crazy as I was moaning after every edemame pod and each sushi piece....it was definitely a When Harry Met Sally moment.

After sushi...it was off to the manicure. Now just to be clear, this is no Twin Cities Nails. You sit on a little futon and stick your feet into a pail of water while another girl does your finger nails on a fold out TV tray in a cereal bowl...all the while getting eaten alive by mosquitos but you know what? It still felt AMAZING!

So needless to say, it was an awesome day...so where to next you ask?

Ok blog fans...a little bit of sad news...I am heading on another backpacking adventure! (sorry mom and dad...I´ll be careful I promise!) So I´m leaving tomorrow morning for Belize for about a week before heading to the next project in Ecuador. It´s so crazy but I´m really excited.

Anyway...don´t forget about the blog and I´ll do my best to post either next Friday or Saturday to tell you all about my adventures! (I promise, no novels this time...)

Three months down, three to go...

Sometimes the days of vegging on my couch, watching TiVoed episodes of American Idol drinking water that is actually cold and out of the tap feels like an absolute lifetime ago. And other times, I just cannot believe that half of my adventure is already over. Time is flying...and I´m just doing my best to enjoy every moment rather than worry about how fast the next 3 months will go and then will only exist in pictures and blog entires.

Signing off for a bit...

xoxo,
Debra

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debra- So excited to hear you are heading to Belize! I have heard it is freakin incredible there. Have so much fun. You really aren't missing much on the TiVo (except So You Think You Can Dance, the best reality show every produced), and I would way rather trade for your adventures!

Anonymous said...

If I hadn't had sushi in that long I would be moaning too! In fact, when I went to Wasabi last weekend I had a Harry and Sally moment when I devoured the ginger dressing. I seriously could drink that stuff. So, I really have started to feel like I'm living vicariously through you. I think I bring up your trip and your blog to one person or another daily and tell them how jealous I am! Your trip might have just inspired me to take off for 3 months next summer. We'll see. Have another amazing adventure in Belize!
Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Dood-
Hello from Amsterdam! We are having a blast, but I wouldn't let that stop me from checking in on the blog. It has been a couple of days so i just saw the previous post for the first time too.Could have done without the bug pics but the other ones were great. I love the love birds, so cute! I believe the fruit Logan was eating was Durian, nasty stuff, you chose wisely. Have a fab time in belize. Love and Miss you much! -Rachel

Kara Frank said...

And I'm one of those who falls into the 'it feels like you've been gone for 17 years' category. Be safe, have a blast, write when you get back. Miss you like crazy, but October 1st also seems like its just around the corner. Belize is supposed to be amazing - I want to hear all about it. p.s. you are missing Punky's 1st birthday party next weekend. And yes, we are having a real party. Hats, guests, baked goods, treat bags, a real party!

Anonymous said...

A trip to Belize? I have been there and it is amazing. SO excited for you! But what I am REALLY excited about is another contest. Try and make it more fun and creative, OK? The last one was way too targeted to the financial, Excel type. Nothing personal against Sam (the "winner").
Miss you Debra!

Anonymous said...

hi, Debra,
I'm still unpacking, so I finally got out your email and blogspot info today. Your blogspot is awesome and entertaining! I love it! I should have done one!!! Maybe my next trip, I will! I hope Belize is great and that the mosquitos find some other fun folks to eat up, instead of you!
Best wishes,
Swati

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about Belize! You adventures sound so amazing! Still need the info on Peru if you're still down with me visiting!

xoxo

Amy

Anonymous said...

D
Sounds like the adveture continues and I still miss you and would love a call to catch up or a phone number so I cann call you. Maybe once you get to Equador you'll have a new telephone number so please let us know. Have a great time in Belize and remember it's slippery mthere also.
Love Ya a BUNCH
DAD

Anonymous said...

D,

Wow...sounds like we'll need more than just one lunch to catch up when you come back (you are coming back, right???) What adventures you are having! Love and miss you!

Your sista...