Thursday, July 17, 2008

A picture is worth 1000 words...

A little background...

So I have a father who has never once seen a dance recital, a tennis match, a USY play or even a trip to the grocery store with his naked eye. He has only seen these MAJOR life events through the viewfinder of his camera or camcorder.

On the other hand, I have a mother who gets bored VERY easily looking at other people's pictures and hearing "travel logs." (this is some serious pressure to make this blog fun and interesting people...)

So the moral of the story is that I take a TON of pictures but struggle not to put too many up for fear that I will bore you all (ok...actually, just bore my mom).

Also, I have been travelling with another volunteer whose dream job is to be a photographer for National Geographic and came with some pretty serious camera equipment...and happens to be fascinated by bugs and plants (and has even managed to rub off on me a little bit!)

Anyway...combine a snap happy dad, en easily bored mom and a new found photographer friend and I have a bunch of really cool pictures and videos that I haven't posted. So with that, here are just some of those amazing things I've seen...


Last weekend, we went to the naturally occurring hot springs here in Honduras...other than the fact that we smalled like hard boiled eggs after is was over (LOTS of sulfer...) we had a great time and even had a picnic in the hot springs!(this pool was half hot and half cold...i hope our acting skills can tell you who was in which side)



The next day, Logan went on some crazy nature hike (while I found a shady place to read my book....c'mon people, I'm still ME) and came backwith some crazy fruit. Despite MANY attempts, he never convinced me to eat it...
After the hot springs it was off to do some ziplining. 2 of the cables were longer than 1 km long! Other than pretty much breaking my toe on a tree, it was incredible...
And here are just some AMAZING pictures from Logan's camera...

(these are catepillars...and they are EVERYWHERE!)



Another crazy caterpillar:
Logan also happened to find these crazy plants that when you touch them, they close up. I became quickly obsessed with finding these plants...ok, I'm officially losing my mom here...this is just more flora than she can handle...


In case some of you didn't follow the link to the CRAZY rain here in Honduras, this is a shot outside my window and this is the story 9 nights out of ten. Welcome to Copan's rainy season!



And here is a good video of the school that gives a really good iea of what it's like!

And when I'm not teaching, I'm usually just goofing around with the kids...

Well...that is probably the last post from Copan, Honduras...another incredible, unbelievable, amazing place that I will never forget..and if I do, I have these pictures to remind me of every amazing moment.

xoxo, Debra

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

D
Some amazing pictures and I am very glad you are starting to appreciate how much dedication it took to capture your childhood through a camera lens.
Love ya
Per your video on the rain it is diffinately slippery out there!!!!
DAD

Anonymous said...

Wow, never bored with these photos!! Kudos to Logan! They are amazing. (Rachel has just run out of the country after seeing the close up bug pictures.) Blog has yet to bore me. (Sam, you know who bores me) Keep em coming!!! We want to hear you shoot the breeze in Belize!! Love U, Mom

Unknown said...

Wow-it's been fun reading about your adventures in Honduras. And now, I'm not going to lie, I have to tell you that I am super jealous that you are headed to Ecuador. I know you will love it and I look forward to hearing the stories, especially to hear how you think it compares to the other places you have been. Two things as you head to Otavalo: 1) I wish you good luck living in the same town as one of the biggest markets in Ecuador. 2) Buy an alpaca blanket (or ten) they are amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those pictures are absolutely amazing! Your friend Logan has some skill. I loved the pictures and the videos, especially the one in the school! The only words I understood were muy bien; I think I need to brush up on my spanish a bit. Keep the blogs coming!
Love,
Julie