Monday, July 14, 2008

And the winner is...

Ok...the time has come to announce the big winner of the Price is Right: Backpacker’s Edition. So I have to say that I was actually very disappointed with the guesses. Now I understand that I stayed in cheap hostels and didn’t exactly eat at Manny’s...but c’mon people...I didn’t sleep on the street and eat rice and beans out of the garbage either!

Ok...so without further ado...here’s the breakdown (all in US$)

  • Bus to Tegucigalpa: $24.50
  • Subway Sandwich (that I risked my life to eat): $4.25
  • Bus to Esteli: $20
  • Border crossing into Nicaragua: $11.30
  • Taxi: $4.70
  • Hostel: $6.50
  • Food: $9
  • Internet: $1
  • Hostel night 2: $.650
  • Food: $11.12
  • Random busses: $2
  • Food: $8.20
  • Lunch: $4.21 (why these two things were on two line items I cannot remember)
  • Dinner: $10.30 (I did a lot of eating in Granada apparently)
  • Bus: $2.30
  • Taxis: $11.76
  • Border crossing that nearly killed me: $5
  • Bus after we narrowly escaped death at said border: $3.50
  • Supermarket run in Costa Rica: $3.50
  • Hotel for two nights in Costa Rica (we splurged...): $30
  • Meal: $6
  • Smoothie: $2.40
  • Beach chair: $4
  • Snacks: $5
  • Supermarket trip #2: $6
  • Meal: $10
  • Transport: $16
  • Border from hell crossover #2: $8
  • Hostel complete with swarm of mosquitoes and pillow of potatoes: $7
  • Ice Cream (very needed): $1.50
  • Meal: $10
  • Bus back to Tegucigalpa: $36
  • Coffee (again...needed): $1.58
  • Mickie D’s (mmmm...): $3.79
  • Subway (good way to bookend the trip): $3.68
  • Taxi: $0.80
  • Border back into Honduras: $6
  • Bus back “home”: $19.75

GRAND TOTAL: $329.21

Yep...that’s 10 days, 9 nights...about $33 a day...not bad in my book. But apparently many of you guys think otherwise!

Anyway...playing by the “real” Price is Right rules...the BIG winner is
MR. SAM ROSEN!! (although closest was actually Ms. Stephanie Culp with a VERY close guess as well...) I suppose it’s good that the winner’s actual job is to make big financial decisions for a company that I happen to care a bit about....

Ok...well thus ends this blogs first (and hopefully not last!) interactive guessing game!

I’ll blog again soon and again, if there is anything else you guys want to know about Honduras, let me know...this is my last week!

Congrats to the winner and as for the rest of you, you will have to come to Honduras yourself to get some priceless souvenir...

xoxo,
Debra

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sam!! Nice going! Now I'd like to tell all you Debra fans out there what Debra's little Backpacker's Adventure cost her mother:
Ambien tablets for the sleepless nights worrying about Debra: $15.00
Clairol Hair color to cover the grey hairs she has given me these past 3 months: $10.25
A four year college degree complete with housing so she could sleep on potato pillows and have frogs as her roommate: $50,000
Travel expenses to visit her in Antigua: $3000
Target runs to cover her trips to Kenya, China, Guatamala, Honduras, Ecuador and Peru $5000
Having her as a daughter: PRICELESS
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER. Sam cheats.

Anonymous said...

A la gran!!, no gané..., bueno en otra oportunidad, pero que buena idea Debra porque estaba esperando tu Blog, con la lista de ganadores!!

Oh my God! poor your mom, but she is the best!!
Good marketing for your blog Debra and see you in Antigua at the BBQ!! yupiiiiiiiiiii!!!!

Doreen xx

Elliot said...

Ah man, I forgot to guess! And I would've had a theoretical edge too, having been down there myself. I'm loving the blog, truly. I actually know the exact parrot that's on your head! He took a particular liking to my left arm.

For the benefit of us all, and my sanity at work, keep it up. And I promise that come the next game I will not read the challenge, think I have a week to answer, then come back in a week and realise I forgot.

Anonymous said...

Were there bed's in the hostels at those prices? P.S. We met a neighbor of yours who is counting down the days until you get home to meet you since she informed us you were the only person on the sixth floor she has not met yet...

Miss you!

Jeremy

Anonymous said...

I love your mom's comments. So cute! Where are you off to next?
Love you!
Julie

Anonymous said...

I love it! You plan the game, I get to participate(however, handicapped I may be), and my hubby makes the winning guess!And, that's why it works!
Love You,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I am humbled and honored by this award. It jumps to the second biggest achievement of my life behind appearing in the Hormel Row of Fame at the Metrodome (although it could move to first if the prize is better than a hot dog). We're counting down the days until we see you in Ecuador.