Saturday, April 19, 2008

Houston...we don't have a problem :)

So I've arrived in Houston and am officially on my way. I figured I would just do a quick post before I enter the "unknown internet access land"...which as you all know is a very scary place for a person as plugged in as I am!

I had my goodbye party last night and got to dress up in a party skirt and heels for the last time in 6 months (definitely NOT going to miss the heels) Saying goodbye to everyone was definitely not an easy task but I just kept trying to focus on the adventures ahead.

It's amazing that only 4 hours into my trip, I have already encountered a couple travel mishaps. After about 1.5 hours of sleep, I actually almost slept through my flight altogether but managed to scramble my way to good ole' Lindbergh (thanks dad for waking me up!) Once I arrived, my bag was 7 pounds over the limit. So in the middle of the airport I was frantically throwing nail polish remover, hair spray and Ponds wipes at my dad telling him to bring them back to the car...so it looks like I might be in for 6 months with some pretty rough nails, frizzy hair and an oily face. But I suppose if that is the worst of it, I'll take it!

Ok...well my flight is being called. I got a text from my friend Amy yesterday that said in many ways, today will be the best day of my whole trip because everything still lies ahead of me. I agree wholeheartedly...

Next post from Guatemala!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi D!!!! Miss you already!!!! Some advice from Mom. Don't talk to strangers (pretty hard when everyone there is a stranger) watch your drink, lock your door and careful driving: It's slippery out. (Dad would have added that) Enjoy day #1! Love, Mom

CruiseConfidant said...

Debra!
I hope that by now you are settled and enjoy your first night. I can picture you sleeping under a giant heap of those brightly color blankets that they sell on the beach in mexico, eating beans and a donkey braying somewhere in the background!

But in all honesty I hope that you are enjoying your time and savoring the awkwardness of these first few days when it will all be new! For in just a week or so you will be in your new south american routine.

Thinking of you and missing you tons!
-Abra

Kara Frank said...

So happy to hear you made it Guatemala safely! Keep us posted on the details of the first day as soon as you discover internet!

jillbrant said...

Hey there Debra -

It sounds like you are in for an amazing trip. I'm jealous and will definitely check out your blog. Things are good in CT with David and the babies. Miss you

- Jill

Anonymous said...

Dood- Got your text and am glad to hear that you got into Houston ok, but I am waiting with baited-breath for the 4-1-1 on Guatemala.... Ahhh, this is so crazy. I am sitting at my computer in GV and you are reading this in Guatemala! I can't wait to hear EVERYTHING.
It's been 1 day and I miss you like crazy!!!!
Rachel

Alison said...

Glad you made it there! So far, gone one day, read your blog one day... Not bad!

Anonymous said...

D!

The seders just were not the same without you, and your blue afikomen cover! But we are so thrilled to hear you got there safely, and miss you tons already! Can't wait to hear more about the adventures that await you!
Love, Ann