Wednesday, April 23, 2008

First day of school and I didn't miss the chicken bus...

Before I even start this entry, I have to tell you all how much fun it is to come home to your comments at night! When I wrote the initial entry for this and said that I hoped that this would be a way to “take you with me”, I guess I didn’t even really believe that myself...but seriously, when I come home and read your comments, it is like you are here! So keep ‘em comin’ folks...and I’ll try to keep the blog as interesting as possible!

Ok...so again, the last two days have been jam-packed and trying to write about all of it right now seems so overwhelming that I have decided I’m just going to write about the school where I teach today. I have this irrational fear that after the first week when everything is just “routine”, I will run out of things to write...so I’m trying to spread out the good material! Although I must say that after 4 days, it is hard to see how these days will ever seem routine.

So today’s topic: La Escuela de Santa María de Jesús

After the complete “surreal-ness” that was Sunday, I headed straight to bed. It’s funny how some things never change. When I woke up to get dressed for my first day, I couldn’t decide what to wear...first day jitters...should I wear my dark or light khaki pants?? And which solid Gap t-shirt would be appropriate?? Huge, huge decisions. I finally settled on an outfit and at 6:30 am, I had a delicious pancake breakfast and it was off to the bus station.

It is about a 25 minute bus ride up a volcano to the school and we take one of two types of vehicles:

Option 1: a “chicken” bus which is essentially a very run down old American school bus (some of them even say things like “Michigan Public Schools” on them). I have yet to see any chickens on them but I heard they do exist.

Option 2: a kind of shuttle that is designed to fit ~10 people but they easily stuff about 28...all I have to say is that thank god I am a mouth breather!

Anyway, after the 25 minute ride, we arrive at the school and within moments, the ride dissolves away in your mind. About 10 kids await for the bus to arrive and immediately flood the volunteers with huge hugs. It only took the kids about 10 minutes to warm up to me enough to start asking for piggy back rides and tight squeezes. During orientation, I was told that often many of these kids do not get any physical affection at home so school is the only time they really get to be hugged by an adult. It is incredible to me how resilient they are and how readily able they are to show such outward affection...and to a complete stranger!

So when I got to the classroom, I had my first surprise of many...I am not teaching English. Nope...these kids do not know a lick of English...so on Day 1, my Spanish skills were very much put to the test...and I have to say that I think I would have made my high school Spanish teacher Sra. Chapman pretty darn proud! Sure I sounded like a complete idiot but the kids seemed to understand what I was saying.

My kids are about 8-10 and they are seriously freaking adorable. I’ll save another entry to tell you about them each individually but after only two days in the classroom, it is amazing to see how they each have their own unique personality and again, it’s funny how some things never change! There is still the super smart quiet girl, the not-so-bright kid that still wants to volunteer for everything, the spunky little girl who won’t clean up no matter how many times you tell her, and the one girl who just giggles through the entire class like she gets something the rest of us don’t and so many more! I can already tell it will be impossible to say goodbye to them!

There are two different groups of kids: Morning and Afternoon so they only come half days and actually attend the state school in the other half of the day. So far, I have only met the morning kids since I am going to Spanish Immersion classes in the afternoon (that’s a preview for the next blog entry!) We’re teaching pretty “normal” stuff...addition, subtraction, story telling, reading comprehension, etc. Yesterday I kept saying TREINTE, TREINTE and the kids just kept looking at me like I was crazy until one looked at me and said in a sweet voice, “Trece?” (turns out there is a slight difference between the number 30 and the number 13!) It really is amazing that these people trust me with their children. But the kids are incredibly patient and very used to having volunteers who aren’t very good at the language.

Ok...so as I type this, I realize it is impossible to describe, as I’m sure so many things will be, but hopefully this is a basic overview of what I’m doing...I am going to post pictures TONIGHT!!

Tomorrow’s entry: The Adventures of Learning Spanish...

xoxo, Debra

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEBRA-- I am so sad I missed your first entries. I bookmarked your blog on my first day and have checked it every morning but it just kept showing your first entry so I just figured you hadn't blogged yet! Good thing I was killing time on my phone last night and checked your blog from there...or I could have missed it all. It is great to hear all of your stories! Sounds like you have a lot of fun in front of you. Did Lisa tell you your Mom is filling in for you in Book Club? I am SO excited! Anyway, keep the blog stories coming! Miss you!

Kara Frank said...

I think you'll be okay as long as you dont ask for 'Jamon Fresca' ...remember that is fresh ham, not strawberry jam.

Anonymous said...

So can you please expand on this volcano that has lava flowing from it just steps away from your school? Yes, there are some ponds near Tanglen, but a volcano?

Jeremy

Stephanie said...

It is so fun to live your adventure through your blog. I have been able to picture exactly where you have been for each entry which only makes it better. I remember my first days in Antigua and am sure I had many of the same thoughts and feelings you are experiencing now.

I told Chino, my fiancé, that you were there and he would love to show you around or have dinner. You can return the favor when you are both back stateside:). Let me know if you're interested.

Keep writing! I look forward to hearing your opinions of the place I called home for so long. I can't wait to go back in May!

Anonymous said...

First and foremost you should take the chicken bus to school every day. That way you can keep an eye on the food supply while going to save small children! It sounds as if you are having an amazing time and that you fit right in......like any of us had any doubts. However....you are missing some amazing Minnesota weather and my walks around the lake are a bit lonely.
Still haven't left for the ship yet......or decided if that is where I will be in a few weeks.
Will you you posted.
You are amazing......I hope that you know that.
-Abra

Anonymous said...

I'm curious where you are writing all your entries from? Is there a computer with internet in your host's house? I'm so glad you are writing so much! Isn't it funny how kids really are the same everywhere, regardless of what language they speak? I've had students like the kids you described in just about all the classes I've taught. I agree with Abby that you should totally go with the Chicken Bus to school! Can't wait for more updates!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last comment was from me! I forgot to write my name.
Julie
PS. Check out my facebook if you can. I think you will find some fun memories in picture form on there!

Anonymous said...

D - so amazing to continue to hear the updates. You have already made such an impact on these kids' lives in such a short period of time. I can't even imagine how much they look up to you and are thankful that you are there teaching them!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Seriously NUTS. I don't understand. How would someone do it who knows ZERO spanish? How could they teach? SO you don't teach a subject? Just everything? And the kids won't ever learn English as part of school curriculum?

Anonymous said...

Wow...this blog will definitely be some serious entertainment for me on Wisteria Lane here in Maple Grove, MN. Keep em comin' D - I look forward to hearing about your new adventures everyday!

Love and miss you!

Ann

Anonymous said...

Debra! I agree - that chicken bus sounds super interesting AND fun! Can't wait to find out more and see pics soon!

Missing you - enjoy your view for me!

Amy