Saturday, May 31, 2008

Parent's Weekend

So for any of you out there who went to college and had your parents visit you for the infamous "Parent's Weekend", you'll know what I'm talking about. Or for any of you out there who have ever been a parent at a Parent's Weekend, I'm sure you will also understand this entry. Last weekend, my parents came to Antigua for 4 days and even though Primera Aveinida is a long was from State Street in Madison, so much of it felt familiar!

At first when my parents arrived, it was literally like, "What are you DOING here?!?" Seeing my parents walking under the arch towards me was so strange. But it didn't take long for me to remember the rules and regulations of Parent's Weekend.

First, be a good tour guide. Second, take advantage of their hotel room and get a break from the "dorm." And lastly, do every possible touristy thing on the list that somehow you would never do on your own! I defintely abided by all of the rules and the three of us had an amazing time in Antigua...and our share of hilarious moments too!

So my parents arrived on Thursday and I met them after school. Again, seeing them here in Antigua was completely bizarre and I probably spent the first 2 hours they were here just repeating the phrase "I seriously cannot believe you guys are here right now!" But I got over the shock and went to their hotel. Now it was not in my plan to stay with them but once I saw the hotel, there was no way I was staying in my one room, stark white "dorm room" while they were in this adorable, Guatemalan "posada." We were given the keys to our rooms which resembled a dungeon door key from the 1600s and was easily as long as a magic marker (Mom and dad--how did we not take a picture of our keys??)

Anyway, we went to a traditional Guatemalan restaurant. I forgot to mention the fourth and perhaps most important rule of Parent's Weekend which is to have your parents take you to as many fun dinners as possible. Then we were off to bed...we had a big day ahead of us!

Friday morning, bright and early, it was off to the project. As soon as we arrived, my parents and I were swarmed with hugs and surrounded by smiles. It was so fun to see my parents experience the project for the first time. Within seconds, my dad took over the role of resident photographer and videographer and my mom and I started playing with the kids.
Fridays are sports day at the school so all the kids get in a line and we walk down to a field where the kids play football (I can't believe I just naturally called soccer, football...clearly been hanging around these brits too long) and some of the girls play Cats Cradle and other "girly" games. Again, it was so fun to see the kids just embrace my parents with no questions asked and it was so great to have them see just how easy it is to fall in love with all of them in a matter of moments!

After a fun and tiring morning of sports, we visited another project in Antigua called Common Hope. Now I just reread what I have written so far and as interesting as it is, I realized that I seriously need to speed these explanations along or I am never going to get through the weekend under my allotted 8MB/entry. So the rest of the day went something like this: Common Hope, weirdest Chow Mein ever for lunch at the project, freaking amazing frozen yogurt, much needed nap, and an incredible dinner with some friends from Mpls (I'd go into it but again...we have 3 more days to get through here people...but long story short, they are wonderful!)

So Saturday is when we officially strapped our cameras around our necks, slathered on the sunscreen, opened our over sized maps and became the tourists the Fitermans are famous for being. We kicked off the day with perhaps the world's best yogurt, granola and fruit of all time (you will just have to trust me there...) and we went to church like good Jews do. Roamed around a few more ruins and then came to a big ruin with a name I can never remember (Las Carchenetas? Las Calcitines? Las Cucarachas?? I don't know...)

Anyway, we were greeted with a guide but quickly rejected him because we pretty much weren't in it for the ruins but rather for the innapropriate ruins pictures...see below:
After the ruins, it was off to my mother's version of heaven: The Flea Market. Now this market is no joke. It is pretty much where the inspiration for Super Target was invented. At this market, you can buy fruit, DVDs, clothing, super glue, french fries, art, scarves...and of course, rubber duckies (there was one guy who sold nothing but rubber duckies).

We managed to do our part helping out the Guatemalan economy and bought a few things we will never use or want and after several hours of touring and shopping, we all needed a rest. This is when we stumbled upon the most unbelievable, incredible and relaxing haven in all of Antigua: McDonald's.

Ok folks...this is not your average Mickie D's. I know this doesn't seem like a part of the day that would require an entire paragraph but let me tell you, this place is absolutely incredible and these pictures do not begin to show what it was like! Every step you take, a person is following you with a mop. There is an internet cafe, a McDonald's playland, a McCafe (gormet pastries and coffee), a courtyard with a fountain...the list goes on. They even bring dessert to your table...on a dessert tray to show you your options! It's ridiculous...

After McDonald's, we had some spring back in our step and believe it or not, we were dragged back to the market by my mom to make sure we didn't miss a single yarn doll with a basket on her head.

That night, we went to dinner with all of the volunteers in Guatemala and it was so fun to have everyone meet my parents and for them to meet all of these people who have had to put up with me for the past 6 weeks! Dinner was great complete with many weird table visitors including a kid selling apples and two blue mimes selling cigarettes.

Sunday started with an amazing trip up to the top of a hill to get some incredible views of Antigua...
And then of course as the good Jews we are, Sunday mass. After that, a Jade Factory and a few more stops and then lunch with my parents and my host family. It was so weird to be the official translator. I had a strange sense of power knowing that I could tell the other anything I wanted and they would totally believe me...

It was so fun to have my "two families" meet! After lunch, it was off to a little last minute shopping, a little napping, and then to a movie. I don't think I've mentioned this before but the movie theaters here are completely free. Yep. That's right...free. And free popcorn too...you just need to buy at least one thing to drink. This was something my parents had to see.

Monday morning, it was back to the project. It was nice to show my parents that I actually do teach these kids and don't just make friendship bracelets with them! We made mammal puppets to round out my animal unit and it was so wonderful to see the kids' imaginations in full gear.

Monday night involved fighting with the airlines for about 2 hours on the phone and then off to the most amazing dinner yet in Antigua. We went to Casa Santa Domingo which is considered the nicest hotel in Central America and is built into a ruin. None of this stopped my mom from asking if they served White Zinfendel or stopped us from sneaking past the security guard to get into the museum for free.

That's why it was so great...even in Guatemala, my parents are still my parents. From McDonald's and bargain shopping to ruin photos and cheap wine, it was so great to show them Antigua for the first time...and in so many ways, for me to see it for the first time all over again.

xoxo, Debra

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously..I tink you have the coolest parents! It looks like you guys had such a good time. I love the ruins pictures!

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on all of your adventures. First of all, the sunflowers in your house are amusing at the least!! I LOVED the pics!

Also - your parents seem amazing and it looks like you all had a blast. I hope I get to be in some of those pics soon - I need the dates you are going to be in Ecuador & Peru!

XO - Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi D, so it's now a week after parent's weekend and I'd like to comment on the experience from our point of view. We sent you off to South America knowing you knew some rudimentary words in Spanish. We got there and watched you teach, order off a menu and speak almost as fast a Spanish as you do English. We sent you off to a foreign land not knowing anyone and as we walked down the streets of Antigua together people everywhere were shouting, "Hi Debra!" We sent you off to an adventure hoping you might connect with one or two new friends so you would have something to do in your spare time. We have yet to find you alone when we skype you, im you or call you. We sent you off in April for a six month journey secretly hoping that within a few weeks you would come to your senses, miss your life here terribly and return to Mpls to your family and friends. You tell us you can't believe how quickly the time away is passing and you're sad to leave your home in Guatemala. We sent away a girl who we thought never loved kids too much and really preferred the urban life of corporate America and meals at Manny's. We met a daughter who became a teacher to children who adored her and was a superhero to them. So we came to Antigua and expected to parent our youngest kid and instead spent 5 days enjoying a woman who showed us a world we would never have seen but for her. Thanks, D! We love you! Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Debra-

Could you please add an ongoing graph of what percentage of the blog is spent discussing eating. As a member of family that values eating (and discussing eating) as much as the Fiterman's, this is something I feel the blog needs. You should probably be devoting no less than 35% of the blog to food related topics. Rachel and are getting our plans ready, and can't wait to come visit you.

Sam

Robyn said...

Debra,
I agree with Sam you most devote at least 35% of the blog to food. I must add that of that 35% you should devote 80-90% to desserts with a strong focus on anything chocolate.

Seriously I'm glad to hear that you are having so much fun. I LOVE the blog.
Robyn

Anonymous said...

Simply said, I love the blog, love you, and miss you like CRAZY!!!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hola Debra!
Tu Blog es increible y me encanta mucho, no he terminado de leerlo, pero voy a continuar esta tarde. Las fotos son muy buenas y tus padres son "muy especiales", como TU. Gracias por seguir ayudando a los niños de Santa Maria que mucho lo necesitan. Te vamos a extrañar mucho en Guatemala, pero sabemos que vas a seguir ayudando a muchos niños mas en otros paises!
Bien hecho Debra, you are the best!!
Doreen xx

Anonymous said...

Debra-

How do you get white borders around your pictures that you post to the blog?

Anonymous said...

Debra-

How do you get white borders around your pictures that you post to the blog?

Anonymous said...

Hey Debra! Absolutely love the blog...keep it coming! Miss you tons! Email me your dates that you will be in your next two places, maybe i can find a good deal on a flight and come visit!

Love and miss,
Cooper

Paula Costa Bravo said...

Debra, Linda & Mike - what a fun time! You guys are amazing!!! I am just caughting up with your adventures!!! Debra the girls miss their Doula... Let's try to connect sometime soon via Skype!!! XOXO, -- Paula

Paula Costa Bravo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

So the volcano was impressive, the bike ride courageous, and the children's education is heartwarming...but my favorite entry so far...hands down...that McDonalds! Wow! Not your grandmother's happy meal. Love and miss you!

Ann

Anonymous said...

Now I'm sorry I didn't visit the McD's in Antigua. Keep the stories coming!

Karen