Wednesday, May 7, 2008

More important things than kids to teach...

So I was all set to write a nice long post tonight about my students. About just how amazing they are and how much I have seriously LOVED teaching them so far. I was so ready to write this blog that I was already trying to figure out how I would start it today on my way home from the city center.

But on my way home, I had to stop to pick up my laundry at the Lavandaria and suddenly, my blog post had to change. As I've mentioned in blogposts past, I am seriously in love with this city. The people, the places, the ruins...I love it all. But don't get me wrong, Guatemala definitely still does a few things backwards. I mean I'm in a city where the busses have light-up Jesus heads that illuminate whenever the bus driver hits the brake. A city where tiny taxis called Tuk-Tuks are available that run on a motor less powerful than my iPod battery. A city where decaf coffee does not exist...the list goes on.

Needless to say, when I dropped off my laundry this morning, in many ways, I said goodbye to the clothes I was dropping off. I left it in a small room with metal bars with a women who used a grocery store type produce scale to weigh my clothes and was told it would be ready later. Again...didn't have much hope with the situation.

So I went on with my day (which, by the way, was fabulous...have I mentioned I teach the best kids in the world??) And on my way home to blog about them, I picked up the laundry. My fears escalated a bit when I was handed a black garbage bag full of what were supposed to be my clothes. I brought them home and wearily opened up the garbage sack...

Well let's just say that what Guatemala lacks in public transportation, it MORE than makes up for in laundry service. Seriously, just opening the bag and I felt like I was walking down the soap aisle at target. Every thing was clean, ironed and folded to perfection. Every sock was paired and rolled, ever pair of underwear neatly creased in a tri-fold. It was unbelievable! I washed 11 pounds of clothing (that is actually quite a lot...) for about $6...and let me just say, best $6 spent thus far.

To my cleaning guy at home...if you are reading this, you may soon be out of a job. I may just have to hire Senora Lavandaria.

xoxo with clean socks,
Debra

P.S..I do promise to write more about the kids soon. It is seriously such an overwhelming task. Have I mentioned that they are the BEST?? I have more pictures and even some video to post...keep checking back!

No comments: