Friday, May 23, 2008

More Kids...

Ok y'all...how has it been almost a week since I last blogged?? I hope I haven't lost too many "fans"...but it has been a crazy week and yesterday, my parents got here to Antigua for the weekend to visit!

But I think I wore them out enough today and put them in the hotel so I could sneak away to blog for a few minutes...

As promised, I am going to write more about some of my kids in this one. Since the last time I wrote about them, I have fallen even more in love with each and every one of them and I literally cannot even think about the fact that I only have two more weeks here with them. It is really hard to describe how wonderful they all are and each of them deserves so much more than a short paragraph but since all of you have lives outside of this blog, I guess I'll have to stick to one paragraph or so each. Because my parents are here, I haven't had a chance to upload my pictures so for now, you will just have to imagine what these ones look like. But I will go back and post a picture of each of them soon so check back!

Ok, introducing five more of the most incredible kids I have ever met...

Meet Mariana (in the blue):
Mariana is just plain wonderful. She smiles almost constantly and has two of the cutest dimples just on the corners of her mouth. She is a little quiet in terms of talking in class but she is never, ever, ever shy with her hugging. This girl gives the most heartfelt hugs I have ever gotten from any one of the kids. She buries her head in the side of my neck and I just wrap myself around her...she is tiny.

But Mariana has a sad tale and I know you ladies out there reading will understand. So at one point or another in all 10-year-old girls lives, we are part of the very volitile "threesome." You all know what I'm talking about...three girls that hang out all the time but one is just always, always, always on the outs. Well, that is Mariana. Two other girls in my class and her are the trio but Mariana is just on the outskirts. It is so sad to see her trail after those two and imitate their every move. Maybe that is why she is one of my favorites...I was absolutely her at that age.

Effie (Gloria Estenfanie)
This girl is every teacher's nightmare and dream all rolled up into one. Some of you loyal bloggers may remember Sandra from my last entry--the kid who I said put the A in Attitude. Well, I'm sorry Sandra but Effie has stolen your crown. This chick has got spunk...serious, serious spunk.

For the first week of class, instead of calling me Seno Debra, she called me Seno Culebra...it wasn't until this week when we were learning about reptiles that I learned that it meant Miss Snake. Nice Effie...

But despite the fact that she really never listens and she takes about 45 minutes to copy down 3 sentences from the board because she is so busy distracting others, she is absolutely hands down one of my very favortites. And I honestly have no idea why! But there is something about a little girl wearing a hot pink blouse, a messy ponytail and a sneaky smile that I just cannot resist.

Lidia:

Lidia is Effie's polar opposite. She is the sweetest, most perfect, angelic 9-year-old in my class. She comes to class ready to learn and wanting to do anything and everything just perfect. She will do anything I asked and would never ever cause a single problem. She does all her work and genuinely loves doing it. After class is over, she diligintely sweeps up under the tables and stacks the other kids chairs. She offers to carry my backpack up the alley and gives me hugs whenever I am just sitting there.

I think they used to call these girls sucks-ups when I was in school but let me tell you that as a teacher, you have a completely different perspective on these ones. She has never once said something "wasn't fair" even when it really was. I guess Lidia is just one of those good ones...

Marvin:
Marvin is seriously all business. First off, he is gorgous. I don't mean like cute like a 10-year-old. I mean like actually hot (insert inappropriate teacher-student joke here) So Handsome Marvin sits right up in the front row and whatever the project, the math problem, the art craft or the reading, he gets in, gets out, does it perfectly and is focussed on that finish line.

Now you'd think that most kids would want to get done early so they could screw around or doodle in their notebooks. Nope. Not Marvin. He finishes and all he wants is a book. Just a book. None of these kids have any books in their homes so to have time to read what they want is treasured. But to think how hard he works just to have 7 extra minutes to read is enough to make me want to send him an entire library of books when I get home.

Carlito (check out the video of him doing math like his life depends on it)

Carlito's actual name is Carlos but he is so, so, so tiny that everyone calls him Carlito or even just Lito (Little Carlos). Carlito has actually stolen my heart. He is hands down my most eager student. I have never seen a kid copy sentences about reptiles with more excitement and enthusiasm. And after he finishes every single math problem, he runs at full speed to my side to show me his work.

But even with all his enthusiasm, adorable name and tiny body, my favorite part of him are his huge brown eyes. I have tried to take so many pictures of them but I'm telling you that they look completely different in person. I don't know what it is and I've never seen anything like it but it is like you actually have to meet Carlito to have a chance to look into those chocolate brown eyes and fall madly in love like I have.


Again, after re-reading what I just wrote, I just feel like I haven't done any of these kids any justice but at the very least, you can start to understand why I have absolutely no idea how I went 27 years
without these kids....or how I will ever leave them...

xoxo,
Debra


P.S...ok..so to encourage the comments, let me know if there is anything that you guys want to hear more about! I'm happy to take blog topic requests!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So here's my request...what are these kids' parents like? Each child is more perfect than the next...their love for learning and reading, their affection, their respect for you...my kids, while extremely cute, I'm pretty sure are NOT the topic of their teacher's blogs. So what's the secret???? Do I need to devour more mangos to raise good kids? Miss and love you! (and mom and dad too...send them home safely!)
Ann

Kristin said...

I want to know what home life is like....do you hang out with the host family at all? Does she cook for you? Could you cook if you wanted to? What do you eat? Do you shop for your lunches or does she or do you get them at school? I know that sounds like a boring topic, but I just want a more complete idea of what day to day life is like on this adventure.

Are there any strapping young men volunteering or who live there that you have taken a liking to?

When should I come visit?

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. It is so great hearing about all these kids. I can't help to think about where my teachers would group me when I was young...hmmm.... I hope you had a great time with your parents this weekend. Your Mom was a fantastic addition to book club last week! Did you get the news that our next books is Island of Lost Girls? MISS you lots! Nate says hi!