Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quick blog, pictures and goodbye!

Ok...well I have about 15 minutes to write this blog, post these pictures and sign-off of the bloggin business for 9 days (more on that in a bit...)

First things first...a quick blog and my day yesterday. So when I was about 6 years old, I went on a family retreat where we did a bunch of stuff that really, the Fiterman family is not so good at. One of these things was horse back riding. So at about 6 years old, I mounted my first horse. Within about 15 minutes, this horse had dashed off into the woods with no one around leaving me with a couple scratches and pretty much terrified of riding a horse.

Since then, I've probably ridden 2 horses (girl scouts? birthday parties? who knows) and don't remember enjoying the experience a whole lot. Anyway, yesterday, all that changed.

I went horse back riding through Honduras and it was AMAZING! I had quite possibly the sweetest horse in the world. His name was Muñeco which means doll. He was gorgeous and so calm.
After about an hour of riding, we made it up to a spot called Hacienda de San Lucas. Ok folks, if you are curious what heaven is going to be like, just come here and you will find out immediately. It is unbelievable! Here are a few pics...

We hung out at the Hacienda for about 45 minutes or so and then headed back down the hill to Copan.

Now again, I know I've been known to exaggerrate from time to time but it was over 100 degrees here yesterday. And the original afternoon plan was to visit the natural hot springs. Well, let's just say that while soaking in my own sweat, suddenly, these hot springs didn't sound like such a great idea.

So, my friend Connie and I grabbed a quick bite in town and headed back up to Hacienda San Lucas (this time by tuk-tuk)
We spent the afternoon sleeping, laying, a little yoga, sleeping, sipping smoothies...oh, and sleeping. It was fabulous.

Now for the quick goodbye. Well, just as I am getting used to my new home here in Honduras, I am leaving! Next week is essentially spring break for the kids so there is no school. So another volunteer, Caroline, and I are off!

I am leaving today to start my trek down to Nicaragua (it takes two days to get there). In Nicaragua we are visiting a brand new GVI project in a tiny town called Estelí. After a few days there on the project, we are exploring mroe around Nicaragua and then onto Costa Rica!

That is pretty much all we have as far as a plan goes at this point. Our theory is that if you don't go in with a plan, it can't go wrong! So, I'm sure when I get back, I'll have LOTS of adventures to share with you guys.

So don't forget about the blog, keep the comments coming and as a little "goodbye" present, I have posted a BUNCH of pictures from Honduras. So check out the past two entries from here which now have some good visuals...

Signing off as a "real" backpacker...

xoxo,
Debra

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Annie Oakley, hmmmm why don't I remember this experience of you being thrown from a horse at age six? Was I there? Well, anyway, photos look fabulous. You mentioned this looked like heaven. Throw in a Dairy Queen at the top of the mountain and save me a place too! Have a great time in Nic..... (never thought you'd visit places I couldn't spell) and Costa Rica. Stay away from denge fever while you're there and dad told me to tell you it's slippery out. Love ya lots, Mom

Anonymous said...

Not sure I like this whole "done blogging for nine days" business, D. What are Todd and I going to do for entertainment this week? And besides (mom and dad...stop reading this now...)how will I know you're alive??? Take care of yourself, come back safely and meet a sexy Costa Rican man to write about when you return...or just fine some air conditioning for a night - that would be just as exhilarating. Miss and love you...Ann

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures! The image I conjured in my head of the cinnamon roll lady really did not do the scene justice, that is hilarious and super weird!

9 whole days without blog, I think I might die....

-Rachel

Anonymous said...

Have so much fun!!!!! I have to wait another 9 days to read this...oy! Now your the world traveler not me. I havent been to any of the places you are going or have been to on your 6 month adventure.

Cant wait to read for some good stories!

Love and miss,
cooper

Anonymous said...

Hey hon!
Can't wait to hear about all of your fun adventures - esp in Costa Rrrrrrrrrrrica! I hope you love it (and the people). You know how I feel.

Miss you!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Hola Debra!!
I just saw a beautiful picture of you, Caroline, Steve and the kids in the GVI Nicaragua Project and it´s amazing!
So... if some of you don´t have any e-mails of Debra, don´t worry because she is doing very well and I think she is back tomorrow to Honduras.

Thanks Debra and we are very glad you saw the Project.

Take care and a big hug to you,
Dom & Doreen - Guatemala

p.s. We miss you as well!!!