Monday, June 16, 2008

Hola from Honduras!

Alright folks...we've got a lot to catch up on. Before I even get to Honduras, I need to take it from where we last left off...seat 10F.

Ok...so I was sat in the exit row. Sweet deal right? Wrong. So not only did I have zero extra leg room and a seat that did not recline. But I happened to also have the great fortune of sitting next to quite possibly the worst seat neighbor in the history of air travel.

This guy thought it was hilarious every time we hit a bump to scream "We're goin' down!!" and then any time someone put something down on the floor of the exit row he screamed, "Get that off teh floor...I can't have anything in my way if I'm going to start throwing people out the exit door!" And if that wasn't enough, every time the flight attendant bell rang, he would echo the ding-dong tune with the words "Bong-Water..."

Ok...well needless to say I made it safe and sound to Antigua and didn't need Exit Row Guy's services of throwing me out the window. When I got into my shuttle to get back to the city, I was so surprised to find out that they actually still speak Spanish here in Guatemala!

SEriously...you would not think that only a week back home would make me forgot but it really was hard to get back into the swing of things. Anyway, I got back to the city and it was so good to see everyone at "our" coffee shop. It's like they had been waiting for me the whole week! (obvioulsy I know that is not true but I like to think that things stop around here while I'm gone...and for the record...all of you at home...your lives are stopped while I am here...)

So I had (another) farewell BBQ and then out for a bit. After about 11 minutes of sleep, my shuttle came to pick me up at 4:00 am to head to my new home...Copan, Honduras! So during this 5 hour drive, I managed to have a couple more travel adventures but far and away, the most random thing ever happened at the border crossing between Guatemala and Honduras.

So...somewhere tucked in between the line where you have to pay to get your passport stamped and the line for a square of TP to go to the bathroom was this tiny little old lady with a blue checkered apron selling cinnamon rolls. Seriously...this woman was as American as apple pie and came straight off of Dan Patch Road from the Minnesota State Fair. Bizarre to say the least...
Ok...so I've been writing for an hour and I haven't even gotten to Honduras! So I arrive here about 11 or so and go straight to my new host family. I get to the street where my house is and on one side is a cute little house and on the other is a construction zone. So, I start rolling my suitcase to the house when the project manager Caroline informs me that nope...I am living in the construction zone.

Don't panic...I thought. But I climbed the stairs (that have no railing) and was led to my room which is actually really nice. But before I even noticed that it was nice, my eyes focused in on one thing and one thing only...I HAVE TV!!!!

Yes ladies and gentleman...it's true. It may only be CNN and one other channel in English but I am not going to complain. My house mom is really sweet and again, I think as I live here longer, I'll write an entire blog entry about the adventures of living in this house (and I think there could be quite a few considered every day, I discover that there are more and more people living in it!)

Saturday pretty much entailed unpacking an dlosing conciousness for most of the afternoon and turning in early (it's possible that I was actually in a come during my walking tour of the city...)

Didn't waste too much time and on Sunday it was off to the "main event" here in Copan which are the ruins. Another volunteer and I toured the ruins all Sunday morning and they were amazing! Not quite as extensive as Tikal but incredble nonetheless.
My guide was a little "loco"...cell phone, snake lover, you get the picture...
And here is me on the "Sacrificial Ball" where they actually performed human sacrifice.
Sunday afternoon I met the other volunteers and we had orientation (again...pretty much don't be dumb and don't die) and then a movie night at home.

I went to the project for the first time today and needless to say, it was AMAZING! Again, WAY too much to write right now so stay tuned for more on the project VERY soon.

Overall, I am adjusting to life in Copan. I can't say it's love at first sight but it wasn't with Antigua either. I think that when I left for Guatemala, I was ready and expecting an adjustment period but I'm not sure I was as prepared for it here as I should have been. I definitely miss my friends and newfound family in Antigua and am missing home a little bit too after my very short visit.

But if there is one thing I've learned on this trip is that things just take a little more time than you think and I'm sure that before long, there will be another blog entry entitled "I think I'm in love..."

xoxo,
Debra

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was a nice little teaser on Honduras but I am going to need much more information and PICTURES please!!! Oh, and have I told you lately that I love you? and miss you! ....cause I do!!
-Rachel

Anonymous said...

As I am sitting here in front of the McDonald's on Eat Street at the bus stop (trying not to make eye contact with the bus drivers), I was wondering if you are able to TIVO CNN...

Glad to hear you are getting settled in. Skype when you can.

Sam

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it safely back, despite the crazy man sitting next to you. Bong water...too funny, although I'm sure it wasn't when you were sitting next to him. I'm curious to hear what your project is like in Honduras. And CNN!!! Score!
Love,
Julie

Kara Frank said...

Of course you would be the one stuck next to the crazy man. Of course. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it was Jeremy -- screaming -- "this plane's going down!". Could have easily been him!

Miss you and love you! Write when you can.

Anonymous said...

Debra! We had book club tonight and we missed you...but of course your mom filled in grandly! Our new book is Kabul Beauty School. Honduras sounds like it will be just, if not more, exciting! Looking forward to more great stories.

Anonymous said...

Dear Debra, you might not know it but the exit row crazy man also has a blog and he said he was sitting next to some redhead who talked a mile a minute, continuously pulled snacks out of her bag to ward off starvation and left a gorgeous condo, a high salaried job in a fortune 500 company and a loving bunch of family and friends to live in a construction zone in 105 degree heat in a third world nation. Imagine that!!! I agree with Rachel, we want photos!! Love and miss you lots, mom

Anonymous said...

hi finally looked at your photos etc they are great .it is now my last few days here and am not looking forward to Friday .Had a great time in Tikal and even the sun shone .We all miss you tremendously and lunches aren t the same .We are going to arrange a weekend for N Y before I leave so will keep in touch . I feel very priviledged to have met you . lots of love Shila xxx

Anonymous said...

Oy that flight back doesn't sound good. But you made it and are doing well. Thats good to hear! We should skype, i just dont have a camera but you can hear my voice! Anyways send the photos!!! I am a visual person and need to see your construction zone home.

Miss you/love you,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

A TV???? Please tell me you're able to find a Little House on the Prairie rerun? If so, I may even have to come visit...miss you, and secretly giggling at our bonding session at Hodroffs. Good times, I tell ya...good times.
Love, your sister