Monday, October 20, 2008

How can sum up the most amazing experience of my entire life?

I just re-read my very first blog entry from over 6 months ago and I just cannot believe that I am back on my big red couch in my downtown Minneapolis condo writing once again. It is so hard to believe that only 6 short months ago, I did not know Spanish, did not know the kids I would teach or the people I would meet, did not know how to live out of a suitcase for months and most importantly, did not know nearly as much about myself.

I have learned more in the last 6 months than through all the hours in a classroom or office cubicle combined. I have been more happy, more sad, more excited, more scared, more curious, more frustrated, more patient and more content than I can ever remember.

When I actually stop to think that the experience that I have wanted to do for a lifetime is now behind me, I really cannot believe it. In so many ways it seems like a blurry dream with photo flashes of some moments that are still clear in my mind.

Some of my most vivid memories are not what you might expect. It's not summiting Machu Picchu or swimming with sea turtles in the Galapagos. Some of the most vivid memories I have are the simple ones.

I can still remember my first Friday in Guatemala when a little girl tied a friendship bracelet onto my wrist. I didn't have a camera to capture the moment but for some reason, at that very moment when I looked at her hands on my hands, I knew that this would be an unforgettable ride.

But I could never, ever have imagined just how incredible it really would be.

Every single person I have met along the way has made the last six months extraordinary. I cannot thank you all individually here but to every volunteer, host family, student, teacher and friend...I thank you with my whole heart.

Throughout the last year, many of you and others have said to me that they have often thought about doing something like this. If you are serious about it I say DO IT. I can promise you it will never be a decision you will regret.

I completely understand that not everyone is in a position to take 6 months from their lives and do this journey. But I met so many people who are doing this work in other ways, for shorter times, with their families, with jobs waiting...the list goes on. If any of you, at any time want to talk to me about doing something like this...please do!!

When I started this blog, I thought it would simply be a place to capture my thoughts and experiences in a public forum. What I never expected was that it would become a huge part of the experience itself.

I know that sounds crazy but there were honestly times when I chose to do something a little crazier, a little funnier, with a little more spirit because of this electronic journal. Even when things got rough, I could usually smile and say, "at least it will make a good blog story!"

About half way through, I installed something on here so I could track how many "fans" I have. I have about 40 people or so that check this every day. Other than my mom, dad, sister and 3 friends, I have no idea who you are! I would LOVE it if as many people as possible could leave a quick comment or drop me an email just so I know who has been along with me on this ride.

You need to know that by you my reading my blog, I was inspired to keep writing in it and because of that, you have all given me the best souvenir that I could have ever, ever asked for. I will treasure these entries for a lifetime.

Also, I have enjoyed blogging so much that I think I'm going to keep it up! I know my stories will take a SERIOUS turn for the more mundane and boring but I hope I can still keep you guys interested! I'll probably blog a little less often but hopefully pretty regularly.

I hope the blog will continue to inspire me to do crazier, more outrageous, more passionate things and that you will all be there to join me on the ride (a bit of a preview?? I have JURY DUTY starting in about 3 weeks!! Yep...I was summoned while away...)

So how does it feel to be home? In a word...weird. In two words? Weird and wonderful.

In reading my very first journal entry, I realized how focussed I was on "figuring out what I wanted to do." I think I can honestly say I have made no miraculous discoveries. No big decisions. No life changing moments.

But I have learned something even more important about "figuring it out"...I'm not sure I ever will or ever actually want to.

Of course I will make career decisions and of course, I hope that I am happy, passionate, challenged and maybe even making some small difference in the world. But for me, the answer of what I want to be when I grow up has changed.

I want to be a person who cares about others. Who follows her passions and dreams. Who never stops being curious. Who always knows that everyone can teach you so much and the biggest lessons usually come from the smallest people. Who never stops learning. Who loves passionately.

I know this journey has brought me closer to that place.

Thank you all for coming with me on the ride.

Here's to the next chapter...

xoxo,
Debra

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that this was such a great experience for you. And I am even happier that you are home now! But in all seriousness I am so proud to call you my best friend, you are truly one amazing woman and you inspire me every day. I love you more than words could ever say.
Rachel

Oh, and ps....don't even think about leaving me for that long ever again! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Debra-
Just wanted to let you know that I have been reading your blog all along and have to admit that I checked it almost everyday. It became part of my internet ritual...email, facebook, debra's blog. Thank you for sharing all your amazing experiences and stories. Hope to see you soon.
Elana

Anonymous said...

I am definitely one who read every time you made an update! It was the best procrastination tool ever!Not to mention I just loved reading everything you had to say! I am definitely inspired by your trip and already have been looking into trips I could take this summer. We must definitely talk soon! I need to see you soon too! Let's plan a weekend to meet up in Madison, now that I know the drive for you will be like nothing! I'm so glad you had such a fabulous time and have such an amazing way to remember it!
Love,
Julie

Sangeetha said...

While I can't say I've been following your adventures from the start, in the short time we've known each other I've definitely checked in on your blog a lot! It's been wonderful to hear your take on things I've experienced myself, and your entries never fail to make me smile (or laugh out loud like a crazy person, in public, as the case sometimes is :)) I imagine it must feel a bit surreal to be home again after everything, but I know it must be wonderful for you to be surrounded by all of your nearest and dearest once more. Hope you're settling back in well - and I definitely plan to keep reading in the future, so post often! x

Kara Frank said...

I read it, I read it (but I think I might be one of those 3 friends!). But I loved it, and I know that your advntures at home will be equally exciting and wonderful, just different. Now please don't leave us again

Abby said...

D-I was also a faithful reader of your blog and like Elana, it has become a site I check regularly. Welcome back and I am so glad you had wonderful experiences on your journey of a lifetime! So glad you won't be halfway around the world for awhile! xoxo,
Abby

Kristin said...

I swear I checked your blog less than 3 days ago and it wasn't updated and I come in today with 3 new entires! I'm overwhelmed. And I can't believe your back! And I can't wait to talk to you. Your adventures DEFINITELY inspired me...and your generosity and kind words definitely helped me be accepted into my adventure. Hopefully you will come visit even though I didn't make it to see you. Let's talk ASAP and plan a long weekend in Minneapolis. Also, I will be in Baraboo for Christmas and you could come there or we could meet in Madison if you'd like!

Lindsay Litman said...

Debra- I think I made a comment along the way but since you asked I will make another one to let you know that I LOVE reading your blog and tried to catch up with it at least once a week! Glad you are home safe and sound, I was starting to worry about Rachel :)

Anonymous said...

Hola Debra!, fue un gran placer tenerte con nosotros en 5 Proyectos de 5 diferentes países. Tu blog es muy bueno. Sigue adelante chica, por eso eres muy especial. Gracias por compartir éste blog con todos nosotros y esperamos seguir en contacto contigo. Los niños de éstos 5 países están muy agradecidos contigo. Well done!, Doreen xx

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to be one of the 40... note, i checked it every day, but you didn't write every day!
It was a wonderful blog and I so enjoyed reading about your experiences and laughed all the time. I also enjoyed reading your mom's comments - now i know where you get your humor from.
So happy you are home!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Debra -

I definitely was on the list of the magical 40. It's been so cool knowing you back in the High School days, watching you take on GMI by storm and now jealously reading about your trip of a lifetime. I'm so glad you will keep up the writing as I want to hear what happens next and I hope we stay in touch.

- Jill Brant

Anonymous said...

Yes, Debra, I've been along for the ride, and it has been wild and wonderful! And, as you mentioned, the life adventure never ends!
Karen Simpson

Stephanie said...

Hi Debra! I, too, was one of the 40. It started out as a selfish pleasure--I wanted to hear all about your life in Guatemala and how it compared to mine. However, I soon realized that you were speaking to the traveler inside me, as well. I cannot wait for my next big adventure. Our parents have been on several together; maybe someday we will follow in their footsteps. Are you up for Cape Town in 2010? Looking forward to catching up soon and having you over to our new house!! We move next Friday!
Stephanie